From:
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:14:21 -0000
Don Satz wrote:

>I'm interested in the 20th century composer Aulis Sallinin and would
>appreciate some feedback concerning his style, most rewarding works,
>and recordings that best represent his soundworld.

What a treat you have in store!  Sallinen (b 1935) is one of the foremost
living Finnish composers

   http://www.fimic.fi/fimic/fimic.nsf?open

His range is great -masses of chamber pieces, eight symphonies, six
operas.  If anyone has his opera "Ratsumis" (The Horseman), please let
me know.  I'll swap for Kullervo.  Personally I recommend the BIS 64 and
the Ondine Songs of Life abnd Death (with the Four Dream Songs which
I've written about) There's also a CD in Finlandia's excellent Meet the
Composer series.

Fans of Geirr Tviett might like to know that there's a new recording of
his cantata for voice, orchestra and hardanger fiddle., "Baldur's Dreams".
on BIS.  Scroll down to the middle of the link and read why it's such a
unique recording.

   http://www.bis.se/frlatest.htm

Anne