From:
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 17:53:26 -0000
Jim Tobin asks:

>What other composers have famously destroyed their own works?

Funny, it seems to be the norm rather than the exception.  I can't think
of any who carefully kept everything, especially works they didn't think
did them justice.  But few went to the extent of George Butterworth who
not only destroyed all his unpublished work when he went to war, but
kept his former life as a musician secret from his colleagues in the
army.  He even used a slightly different name to enlist, flummoxing
biographers tracing his military records.  Why, we may never know.

Anne