From:
Tim Horwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:27:19 +0100
Walter Meyer wrote:

>>Tim Horwood wrote:
>>
>>In the UK the Lottery fund has decided to donate $11.5 million to the
>>National Gallery for a 9" x 11" painting by Raphael.  This is so the
>>painting may be kept in the UK rather go to the USA.  Am I alone in
>>thinking this is mad?
>
>Depends.  As I recall, the National Gallery in Washington, DC (USA) has
>several Rafaels, but no Rafael Madonna.  Is the painting in question a
>Madonna, which our gallery might want to acquire?

Yes can see it at http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/

But the painting has already been sold subject to an export licence and
the money being raised to keep it in the UK. I counted 4 Madonna's in the
National Gallery at the moment hence my questioning of why we needed another.
Art is so expensive compared to music.  The manuscript for Beethoven's Ninth
Symphony sold for I believe 3.1 million pounds.

>Does London's National Gallery have regular classical music concerts like
>Washington's?  We have them weekly and they're gratis.

I don't think so.  The Gallery is busy enough as it is having visited on a
week day once.  According to a biography of Kenneth Clark who was director
of the Gallery back during the Second World War there were concerts in the
Gallery empty of its pictures.  Kenneth Clark is best probably remembered
for Civilisation the Art TV series.  I believe there are lunch time concerts
(not necessarily classical) out in Trafalgar Square this summer, at least I
think that's what the Mayor said when he opened the newly pedestrianised
area outside the Gallery.

Tim Horwood