From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:01:50 +1000
Bert Bailey recommended:

>Mennin, Peter: Symphonies 3 {NY Phil./ Mitropoulos. MONO} & 7 {Chicago
>Symph./ Martinon}; Piano Concerto. (John Ogdon w.Royal Phil./ Buketoff)
>$ 3.99 | AMERICA | ADD | BRO Code: 116346 | CRI CD 741

A few years ago after having just bought this fine CD for super-top
dollar, I was dismayed to find that Gerard Schwarz had released a new
recording on Delos of the two symphonies (with Moby Dick, IIRC), which
I haven't heard but was also on offer at BRO last time I looked.  Although
I strongly concur with Bert's recommendation, I suspect that the quality
of the performances on CRI are probably better, even if the recording
is partially less than ideal.  It might be useful for potential purchasers
to have an opinion from someone familiar with both CDs.  I wonder, too,
whether Naxos's American Classics series will eventually contain some
Mennin.

Richard Pennycuick