From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:10:06 -0800
Jan Templiner wrote:

>Charles Mackerras recorded "the Initial Performing Version of the Slow
>Movement", I believe this is what you've heard.  It is on the Telarc
>disc with the first symphony (which is - as the whole cycle not
>particularly commendable, due to the utterly poor horn playing). ...

Thanks to Jan and Stephen for the info.

Although it was interesting, I wouldn't call it more than that.
Fascinating insight for professional musicologists perhaps.  Not anywhere
like as revealing as the B9 finale or those Sibelius original versions
(like En Saga and 5) or the original RVW London.

Deryk Barker
Victoria Times Colonist