From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:30:58 -0500
Janos Gereben wrote:

>Richard Pennycuick asked about the soundtrack of "Eyes Wide Shut." Yes,
>the single note on the piano and an extended section of the music in the
>film are by Ligeti.  I'll try to locate the specific piece and see where
>it may be available.

Could it be his piano concerto?  (This thread sparked my interest in my
one and only Ligeti recording.) I just listened to it the other night,
and part of it reminded me of the piano notes in "Eyes Wide Shut".  I
don't remember which movement, but I think it was the 2nd movement.  In
the concerto, the notes were played in unison, many octaves apart --
very high and very low.  This same ominous effect, btw, was used in the
Japanese animated movie, "Spirited Away", I think, as the motif for the
"giant baby" (my term -- I don't know what else to call the character).

Another movie that uses piano music similar to "Eyes Wide Shut" is "The
Game" with Michael Douglas.

>BTW, I hope Richard was struck by the music more than the by the film.
>It sure wasn't my cuppa, unlike Kubrik's other works.

I couldn't agree more. I think it was a dud.

Mike Leghorn