From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2003 16:42:55 -0500
Barrett Reynolds:

>...  That's why I wanted to ask, as seasoned veterans of collecting,
>are many of us loyal to a particular label, orchestra, or conductor?
>I ask this because, in my brief history buying these CD's, I've
>developed a particular fondness (almost a fettish) for any CD which
>boasts the golden Deutsche Grammophon label.  ...  Anybody else have
>any favorites?

I used to like certain labels, mainly because they had some of my
favorite performers.  For example, I was attracted to Columbia and,
later, EMI because they featured recordings by George Szell.  Some
did series on favorite composers: CBS did Copland and Stravinsky, EMI
Poulenc and Vaughan Williams, Decca Britten, Nonesuch Adams and Reich.

Other than that, I tend to look at pieces and composers, rather than
labels.  On the other hand, small independent labels, marketing a small
niche, have begun to attract attention: Albany for American music, Pierian
for their piano and Welte-Mignon issues, Hyperion and Chandos for British
music (and their Romantic piano concerto series), Bis for Scandinavian,
to cite just a few.

Also, I think in general Naxos is a great buy, particularly if you want
to sample something way off the beaten track at a small price.

Steve Schwartz