From:
Forrest L Norvell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 01:31:38 -0800
For those of you with a Macintosh and / or a copy of Filemaker Pro, I
recommend you check out a Filemaker Pro database called Prelude, written
by Duncan Thomson.  I'm afraid you'll have to search for a copy (I found
it after a bit of prodding Google, although I don't remember where I got
my copy) and then tweak it a little bit, because the last version was
released in 1997 and it was originally written for Filemaker 3.  I'm
running it under Filemaker Pro 5.5 on MacOS X and it works great.

It seems to be much like ClassiCat -- it comes with a built-in library
of composers, works, and even recordings and discs (the latter two are
included as examples; you'll want to clear them out before entering your
own, lest you get confused).  It works well for large collections --
because you have to enter details for works and composers before you can
enter data for recordings and then discs, the more you use the program,
the more of your data will already be entered.

It's not perfect -- I wish it captured more information about multi-disc
sets (i.e.  which works are on which disc), and it can be a bit
counterintuitive about some things -- but it does some fairly complex
things brilliantly and intuitively.  Best of all, it only costs a postcard
to the author.

On the other hand, for insurance purposes I just use an Excel spreadsheet
that I cooked up in about 15 minutes, which ought to be perfectly adequate.
It's not as fun to play with as Prelude, but it's a lot faster to fill
out.

yours,
Forrest L Norvell