From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 23:40:26 +0000
William Valles writes:

>Granted that he recorded op 10/4 and op 25/5(See RCA's "The Chopin
>Collection").

Right, that's all you can get from Rubinstein on RCA.  On BBC Legends
4105, Rubinstein plays the 6th, 8th, and 9th etudes from Opus 10.  Well,
that's a total of five which I suppose is better than nothing.

I don't know why Rubinstein never recorded the complete set of etudes.
There are Chopin works he recorded multiple times such as the Nocturnes
and Mazurkas; I assumed he had a particular affection for them.  Perhaps
he wasn't enamored of the Etudes, or he felt they were not a good match
for him.

Don Satz