From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2003 23:36:01 +0100
Allen said:
> Focus shifts during expansion, too, from trying to find more things to
> do with one's bees,

I like that!

> to how to find time for oneself, as the enterprise
> increases in size.  There is never a shortage of good ideas.  Some seem
> compelling and urgent, but a smart manager must decide what will pay
> with some certainty, and what will not; and what omission is likely to
> have serious adverse consequences, and what can safely be risked.

Allen, I could not have put it better myself.  The amateur with just a
couple of hives at the bottom of the garden is often happy the his or her
outlay is greater than the return, as with most hobbies.  However, a
commercial, or semi-commercial beekeeper, who has invested serious money in
his or her beekeeping enterprise becomes much more focused on management
issues and risk assessment is a major part of management.

For example, we have just had some truly awful weather.  It has been cold,
wet or windy since 1 May.  Major sources of honey (winter rape,
horsechestnut, hawthorn) are all nearly finished and there is very little
honey in the supers.  In addition, many colonies are trying to swarm, even
though in some cases there are few bees in the supers.  Under these
conditions inspections have been very difficult and I have had to ask
myself, 'Is it better to open colonies under these conditions and risk
chilling brood to prevent swarming (hoping that this will ultimately result
in a better crop when/if the weather improves), or should I sit at home and
let them get on with it?'

Answers on a postcard please!

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/