From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 07:40:14 -0500
Jim asked:
 What else  would warrant the capital investment in such an expensive
process?

I keep refering to China as China has the need for ultra filtration. In
China the whole honey crop is owned  and in many cases "dumped" by the
government.

Could a humble beekeeper living in a tent in China afford ultra filtration?
Of course not!

Could the government of China afford many ultra filtration devices. Of
course!

China has been implicated many times of adultrating their honey with syrup.
I said *implicated * but there are documented cases which have been found
(as there have been documented cases by U.S. packers to be fair).

Ultra filtration makes it very hard to catch adultrators of honey.

 Jim said:
In my view, the moment the water was added, the honey was adulterated.
Yes, they add water.  They dilute the honey, filter, and then (somehow)
remove the water later.  How is this NOT deliberate adulteration?

I have got the same viewpoint as Jim but after many debates on the subject
at various bee meetings I can not see mine and Jim's viewpoint holding up.

Water occurs in honey and  in the end after the ultra filtration the
moisture content is exactly the same.

The common practice of filtering with DI earth is allowed so how could you
ever stop the using of only water to filter with when the end product has
the same amount of water as when the filtration process started.

I see the move to ultra filtration to solve a problem with honey and has
nothing to do with the safety of the consumer.

bob