HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 04:00:03 -0400
Even though he's younger than most artifacts of my acquaintance, I
must second the nomination of Bob Schuyler to the list of memorable
artifacts. But should we stop there?  Historical archaeology (and its
many branches) is full of memorable individuals who should be
elevated to artifact status if we're going to promote Bob.

Just today, I was musing with Dave Orr (yet another candidate for
artifact status) over some of the curiously memorable personalities
in this business, including the late Ed Rutsch and Jim Deetz, as well
as the very-much-alive Ivor Noel Hume.

The folks who have inspired us are indeed an important dimension of
our own personal development, even if they don't write
hernia-producing weighty tomes.