HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 18:17:21 -0500
alyssa, there are a number of sources useful for tracking down transfer
printed patterns.  For blue printed patternstry A.W. Coysh and R.K.
Henrywood _The Dictionary of Blue and White Printed Pottery 1780-1880
Volumes 1 and 2 (published by the Antique  Collector's Club).  Coysh has
also published some shorter books on tranferprints prior to the
Dictionary.  Petra Williams has also published a number of books on
transferprinted patterns, including some which specialize in patterns on
flow blue and flow mulberry.  Her books are divided by theme, so you can
search for patterns by such topics as "floral", "genre", "romantic",
"children's" etc.  You might also try looking at general books on
creamware and pearlware for sections on transfer printing, such as Donald
Turner's overview of creamware.  Hope this gets you started.

Barbara Heath