HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
toulouse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:11:20 -0600
   Water screening is indeed an effective method. It saves a lot of
screening time, the recovery is quick and efficient and non abrasive. And a
window screen drawer placed in sliding tray beneath the 1/4 inch mesh makes
for great recovery. It is more time consuming to set up however. And the
pump can be expensive.
    But run off is a problem. If you can build the screen frame into a bank
of heavy plant growth, it filters out most of the sediment before it gets
back to the river or creek. Or if you have to pump your water a long
distance from the water source, run off usually isn't a problem.

   The UofMichigan waterscreen you saw was copied after one I had earlier
used on the Tombigbee. I'll be using a similar one this summer.

N.J.