HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:59:15 -0500
Gaylord Library Supply has archival (acid free) plastic zip-loc bags, in
a small number of sizes.  I have used their 2X3 inch and 4X6 inch sizes.
These are 2-mil thickness, however, but that seems to be sufficient for
most artifacts, excepting heavy iron objects or large amounts of glass
sherds with fresh breaks.  In general, larger bags are thicker--I think
the largest size in the present (2004) Gaylord catalog is a 4-mil
thickness, but all their smaller bags are 2-mil.  I don't know where you
can find 2X3 inch or 4X6 inch 4-mil bags--I inquired with a couple of
firms selling archival bags about this last month, and the best they
could do was offer to make some up.  The minimum lot size for this
service was 25,000 bags, and the cost was prohibitive.

The 2X3 inch Gaylord bags are about $6.00 per 100 count package, and the
4X6 inch bags are about $10.00 per 100 count.  They give a slight
discount for orders above 4 packages (400 count total) in each size.
Shipping and taxes are not included in these prices.

I think Gaylord is on line at gaylord.com, or you could google it.  I'm
not sure if you can order on line; I've always called their 800 number,
and ordered from the catalog.  Zip-loc (more correctly called "zip top,"
since "zip-loc" is a trademark) archival bags are a new item with
Gaylord--not offered in their 2001 catalog, but offered last year (2003)
and this year (2004).

D. Babson.