HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"George L. Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:21:16 -0500
                                                                          1

Dyed body wares
      The blue dyed body earthenware that Alasdair has been describing
appears to be rare on Canadian sites as well.  When I worked at Parks
Canada in Ottawa, we called them dyed body wares.  Drab ware is probably a
term the Staffordshire potters applied to some of these wares
in the nineteenth century.   My gut feeling is that they come out of the
jasper and smeared glaze tradition.  Here are some references to the dyed
body wares.

From Thomas Lakin's 1824 book of receipts.
|-----+--------+------------------------------------------------------------|
|     |        |                                                            |
| page| process| description                                                |
|     |    #   |                                                            |
|-----+--------+------------------------------------------------------------|
|     |        |                                                            |
|  7  |    9   | Lilac Porcelain Body                                       |
|-----+--------+------------------------------------------------------------|
|     |        |                                                            |
|  7  |   10   |Superior Drab Body                                          |
|-----+--------+------------------------------------------------------------|
|     |        |                                                            |
|  8  |   12   | Fawn or Drab Body                                          |
|-----+--------+------------------------------------------------------------|
|     |        |                                                            |
|  8  |   13   | Calcedon Body                                              |
|-----+--------+------------------------------------------------------------|
|     |        |                                                            |
|  8  |   14   | Brown Body                                                 |
|-----+--------+------------------------------------------------------------|
|     |        |                                                            |
|  9  |   15   | Jasper Body                                                |
|-----+--------+------------------------------------------------------------|
|     |        |                                                            |
|  11 |   19   | Black Egyptian Body                                        |
|-----+--------+------------------------------------------------------------|
|     |        |                                                            |
|  13 |   22   | Fawn Porous Body  "This body makes porous wine and butter  |
|     |        | coolers," i.e., unglazed                                   |
|-----+--------+------------------------------------------------------------|
|     |        |                                                            |
|  14 |   24   | Blue Clay                                                  |
|-----+--------+------------------------------------------------------------|
|     |        |                                                            |
|  14 |   25   | Black Clay                                                 |
|-----+--------+------------------------------------------------------------|
|     |        |                                                            |
|  14 |   26   | Orange Clay                                                |
|-----+--------+------------------------------------------------------------|
|     |        |                                                            |
|  15 |   27   | Green Clay                                                 |
|-----+--------+------------------------------------------------------------|

 Page 19, Section two of the book:
       "Receipts for Superior and Common Glazes of Porcelain, Ironstone,
 Earthenware, and various coloured Drabs, properly adapted for the Bodies
 described in the first part of this book."

       The formulas for dyed bodies listed in Larkin could easily have been
 adapted for earthenware by just firing them at a lower temperature.  Thus
 the knowledge of how to do this was around by the 1820s for a range of
 colors.  Jasper and Egyptian Black (Basalt) were of course known well
 before Lakin's book of receipts was published in 1824.

       In the mid-1830s a number of molded jugs (pitchers) were produced by
 potters such as Ridgway and Abington that have impressed marks that read
 "PUBLISHED BY/ E. RIDGWAY & ABINGTON/ HANLEY / JANUARY 4, 1838" (Godden
 1964:533). These are smear glazed dyed body wares and they represent
 attempts to protect patterns from being copied prior to the English
 Registry System set up in 1842.  After that date a number of smear glazed
 jugs were produced by various potters with raised registry diamonds as
 part of their marks.  These jugs have dyed bodies in various colors
 including at least two shades of blue, olive green, and yellow.  There is
 a book titled Relief-molded Jugs, 1820-1900 (Henrywood 1984) that records
 a large number of these vessels and their registry marks.  Smear glazes
 have been described in Barber's glossary as follows:

             Smear      A semi-glaze, or thin deposit on the surface of
             pottery, produced by smearing the inside of the sagger, or
             fire-clay receptacle, with the glazing preparation, which
             vaporizes in the heat of the kiln, and settles on the surface
             of enclosed ware (Barber 1914:48).

 The resulting glaze is among the thinnest types of glaze used and thus
 works very well with the highly molded jugs because the glaze does not
 obscure the detail of the molding.  The inside of such vessels were
 commonly have a regular lead glaze so they are shiny on the inside and
 have a very thin glaze on the outside that is often difficult to see.  The
 early smear glaze wares are generally well fired and vitrified.  Later
 ones are sometimes fired at a lower temperature.  Smear glazed jugs are
 fairly common in the antique market, as they seem to survive well.  They
 are somewhat rare in archaeological collections.  People interested in
 pottery would do well to visit antique malls and flea markets where you
 can handle a variety of wares that are not well represented in museums.
 Damaged pieces are generally quite cheap and make good type pieces for a
 comparative collection.

       Simeon Shaw's 1829 History of the Staffordshire Potteries on page
 183 makes the following comment on dry bodies.
       "This relief method was very advantageous, when the Jasper was
       invented, and the other dry bodies used for the ground could be of
       any colour, by employing a metallic calc, and the relief figure
       remain a beautiful white, or any color deemed requisite."

 In Shaw's 1837 Chemistry of Pottery on page 458 he writes about dry
 bodies:

       "So named because without glaze are intermediate between porcelain
       and flint wares, partaking the properties of their biscuits.   They
       are different in qualities and colours. . .  They include the kinds:
       Chemical Utensils, Stone, Jasper, Pearl, Cane, Drab, Red, Black
       Egyptian, Fawn, Brown, Sage etc."

 On page 491 he lists smear glazes as containing a combination of rock
 salt, potash, and nitre for  smearing the inside of saggers.

       Griffin's book on the Don Pottery illustrates a number of dyed body
 wares from an early period and has color plates of "Drabware" and
 "Chalcedony or Orange Body (2001:167-172).  Dudson's history of the Dudson
 pottery provides some documentary records to go along with many examples
 of the dyed body jugs, bowls and teapots.  From documents she states that
 "By 1834 the following had been added to the list of recipes used in the
 production of pottery."  "Coloured bodies: Blue Turquoise, Sage, Lilac,
 Drab, Buff, Cane, Green, Brown, Chocolate, Blue Jasper and Blue dip for
 Jasper (Dudson 1985:50).  A Dudson Brothers bowl in my collection has a
 dyed body and is vitrified, but covered with a conventional clear glaze
 rather than a smear glaze.  It dates from the period 1898 to ca 1915.

       I have seen very few dyed body earthewares and none with marks that
 I can recall.  The Staffordshire potters' price fixing lists of 1795,
 1796, 1808, 1814, 1824, 1833, 1846, 1856 and 1858 do not list any dyed
 body, drab wares or smear glazed wares.  Clearly, not enough were being
 made to make it worthwhile to set the prices.  They do not appear on any
 of the potters' invoices I have seen for imported wares coming into the
 United States.  Dyed body wares is a safe descriptive term for these
 wares.

 References cited

 Barber, Edwin Atlee
             1914 The Ceramic Collectors' Glossary.  1967 reprint by Da
             Capo Press, New York.
 Dudson, Audrey M.
             1985 Dudson, a Family of Potters since 1800.  Dudson
             Publications, Hanley, Staffordshire.
 Godden, Geoffrey A.
             1964 Encyclopedia of British Pottery and Porcelain Marks.
             Bonanza Books New York.
 Griffin, John D.
             2001 The Don Pottery, 1801-1893.  The Doncaster Museum,
             Yorkshire, England.
 Henrywood, R. K.
             1984 Relief-moulded jugs, 1820-1900.  Antique Collectors'
             Club.  Woodbridge, Suffolk, England.
 Shaw, Simeon
             1829 History of the Staffordshire Potteries.  1968 reprint by
             Beatrice C. Weinstock, Great Neck, New York.
             1837 The Chemistry of the several Natural and Artificial
             Heterogeneous Compounds used in Manufacturing Porcelain,
             Glass, and Pottery. 1900 reprint by Scott, Greenwood and Co.,
             London.
 Thomas Lakin's
             1824 The Valuable Receipts of the late Mr. Thomas Lakin, with
             Proper and Necessary Directions for their Preparation and use
             in the Manufacture of Porcelain, Earthenware and Stone Chine .
             . .  Leeds, England. From the copy in the Winterthur Museum
             Library.

 Peace
 George L. Miller
 URS Corporation
 561 Cedar Lane
 Florence, New Jersey 0851                      February 16, 2004