HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Benjamin Pykles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:43:11 -0500
My apologies for cross-postings.

To all advocates of ignored architectural enactments of social history:

CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

The Center for American Material Culture Studies at
the University of Delaware, in cooperation with the
Delaware Seminar on Art, History and Material Culture
and Winterthur Museum, Garden and Library, presents
the First Annual Emerging Scholars Symposium on
Material Culture, Saturday, April 26, 2003 at
Winterthur Museum, Garden and Library, Winterthur,
Delaware.

We invite graduate students from American Studies, Art
History, Archaeology, English, History, and other
disciplines to join us.  By promoting conversation
across disciplinary boundaries, we hope to encourage
an ongoing national dialogue about material culture.
By freeing scholars of chronological and topical
restraints, we seek to encourage discussion across
perceived boundaries of time, space and discipline.
We welcome both the academic community and general
public to attend.

This year's presenters are from the Universities of
Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Wisconsin,
and Yale.  They represent departments of Art History,
English, History, and programs in the History of
American Civilization and the Winterthur Program in
Early American Culture.  Their papers discuss objects
ranging from women's undergarments to monuments to
chocolate, and touch on themes that span from
domesticity to self-consciousness to texts and
contexts.  Audience discussion periods will be led by
this year's commentators:  Dr. Bernard L. Herman, Dr.
Robert Blair St. George, and Dr. Dell Upton.  Dr. J.
Ritchie Garrison will offer a summary address.

Conference participants are encouraged to take
advantage of special tours on Friday, April 25th, as
well as Saturday tours of Winterthur's library and
unparalleled collection of American decorative arts.
There is no admission fee for the symposium or tours,
but pre-registration by April 21st is required for all
special tours and encouraged for the symposium.  To
register, and for more details about the symposium and
special tours, please visit the symposium website at:
http://materialculture.udel.edu/achievements/emerging-scholars