HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:09:29 -0800
Hello All,

While window glass dating has had some serious
obstacles, it has proven itself extremely helpful
dating structural remains and distinguishing building
episodes. I think window glass is great for dating
structures but lacking when it comes to dating sites
or a span of occupation. As for ommitting them from
the artifact analysis, I find it worthwhile if just a
little tedious as long as there's an adequate sample.
Gotta keep looking at the details. I find Roenke's
formula to work well on late 19th century sites
throughout the US. I also like Ball's study if simply
because he includes color as a temporal variable, an
attribute I'm not fully ready to give up on just yet
and which the other studies tend to ignore. Also
heavily used in the midwest is Moir's work and
Christopher Shoen's thesis and article. The specific
citations can be found on my flat glass bibliography
at:

 http://www.digitalpresence.com/histarch/glass.html

What has been sorely needed is more window glass
patterning studies as opposed to simply aggregate
dating. Do other folks out their weigh their window
glass, and if so, how does it relate to the
fenestration of a building? While front facades
typically have greater fenestration (ie, more windows
per sqft) than the rear facades, back yard deposits
usually have more window glass, reflecting both
disposal patterns and differing breakage rates.

On an interpretive level, I suspect that the
examination of window glass exclusively as an
"architectural artifact" is somewhat misleading and
devalues the role windows play in the lighting of our
homes, shops, businesses, etc.. Has anyone tried
comparing the ratio of window glass to lamp glass?
Might prove interesting in certain contexts. Also a
fun way to spice up that "Lighting" functional
artifact category nobody seems to want to talk about.

Dave

---------
David Moyer, RPA
Birchwood Archaeological Services