HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:46:39 -0600
Eric:

Some of the very best historical archeological work on brothels in recent
years was done by Julia Costello and a number of other people -- including
Adrian and Mary Praetzellis -- on a site near Los Angeles' Chinatown. The
work was exciting, had some colorful results, and lots of great stuff to
look at. In addition, the reporting was professional and timely. Julia has
edited a professional report entitled:

Costello, Julia G. (editor)
  1999 Historical Archaeology at the Headquarters Facility Project Site,
        The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, Volume 2,
        Interpretive Report. Submitted to Union Station Partners on behalf
        of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, Los
        Angeles.

Hopefully, Julia will reply to this query, so you can get her email, but I
        just wanted to give her a plug.

I have been following the archeology of brothels for a good fifteen years
or more now, and have developed an extensive bibliography of both
archeological and secondary historical literature. I'm in the process of
writing a research design for a testing project in the red light district
of Seward, Alaska...not nearly so glamorous or upscale as Storyville. We
hope to start work later this summer. Please contact me off list if you
would like some more information about this project.

Cathy Spude
(505)988-6831
National Park Service
Santa Fe, New Mexico

                      Eric Powell
                      <eric@ARCHAEOLOGY        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      .ORG>                    cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Brothel References
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      07/23/02 02:57 PM
                      AST
                      Please respond to
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

Dear Histarchers,

For a piece I'm working on that deals with the archaeology of Storyville,
New Orleans' legalized red light district, I'm trying to track down
references to archaeology done at sites purported to be brothels. I know
about work done in Washington's Hooker Division and in New York's Five
Points, but does anyone out there know of other sites that turned up
assemblages that might have come from brothels? Especially any late 19th,
early 20th century sites?

Thanks,

Eric

Eric Powell