HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:46:37 -0800
Great question Margan.

To add a bit on info, I don't think "Type II" is an offical designation,
but the Navy called these Quonset hut Redesigned models if that helps
anyone. The base of the wall is straight sided, not curved. The original
Quonset was curved all the way to the ground and the "Type III" returned
to the curved wall.

I've looked on the HABS web page and there are 16 entries that come up
when you search on "Quonset" but none seem to include the drawings, even
for sites like Davisville, RI where I know drawings were made.
Incidently, they also include non-Quonset types like Armcos, etc. Does
anyone know if HABS is willing to fax 8.5x11 copies of their drawings
upon request.

Catherine Williams
NLUR