From:
Jeff Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:54:52 -0400
What is the most 'perfect' piece of Vaughan Williams?  There is something
wonderful in just about everything he wrote, but for me there are almost
always relatively weaker sections that pale after a few hearings if not
sooner.  These are the galumphing sections, the noodly sections, the
random-sounding sections that either don't fit in well with their host
works as a whole, or are constructed of less arresting or significant
substance.  Note spinning - by a master, to be sure.

For me, the above problems are most apparent in the earlier works.
Many of the later compositions are more taut and consistent, the sixth
and 9th symphonies, for example, but the melodic inspiration seems
inferior to the earlier work, less embraceable.

So where are tautness, consistency, and melodic and contrapuntal
inspiration at their height, in sweetest combination in the cake?

I would nominate for your consideration as VW's most perfect work 'Five
Variants on Dives and Lazarus,' written in 1939 when he was at his best
(as was Hitler, unfortunately).  Not too long, not too short, highly
melodic, full of interesting harmonization and counterpoint.  A rock
solid and inventive structure.  Not variations composed on the theme by
VW, but variants of the folk tune found in different parts of England,
each followed by a mini-fantasia and nicely transitioned with a climax
beginning toward the end near the Golden Mean.

Of course there are many other works, especially the Fantasia on a Theme
of Thomas Tallis, the Fourth Symphony, etc., which are likely candidates,
but for me, it's the Variants that are most perfect, with each note a
great note, a right note and a beautiful note.  But then, I'm just one
set of modal-biased nerve endings - what is YOUR nominee for the most
perfect VW?

Jeff Dunn
Alameda, CA