From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 17:11:03 -0500
Deryk responding to David Harbin:

>>Can anyone comment on Slatkin's Mahler 2 for Teldec.  I imagine the sound
>>is impressive but I wonder how the recording stands up after all these
>>years?
>
>IMHO it didn't stand up that well when it first appeared. Nicely recorded
>but a rather bland performance.

Precisely my feeling about it. They made a big deal when it came out
that the last movement was done in one take. I don't think it made much
difference. I'm a big fan of Slatkin (living in the neighborhood of his
old band, and having heard him conduct it many times) but this one is a
pass-on-by.

Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>