From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 13:09:48 -0700
David Harbin ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Dear All, I am pleased to see the first CD, of three Mozart symphonies,
>in a Tintner memorial series on Naxos. His luminous and spiritually
>insightful Bruckner is testament to a great conductor.  From all I have
>read about him he seemed like a thoroughly decent person too so it would
>be good to see his reputation expand.
>
>Does anyone know what further releases might include?  Perhaps some
>archive recordings from Radio New Zealand and opera?

'fraid not. I received my review copy of volume 1 next week - and excellent
it is. There are a further 6 to be released this year and the remainder
early next year.

The first 7 are live recordings with Sympholny Nova Scotia, volumes 8 &
9 are with the National Youth Orchestra (of Canada), the remainder (3
vols) are reissues of studio recordings opriginally released by CBC. I
already have the Mozart Les Petit Riens which is superb. There is also
a disc of Delius promised...

For my money, although there are some *very* interesting releases (I
have details at home unfortunately), including IIRC an Eroica/Sibelius
7, it is the two NYO releases which I'm looking forward to most: there's
a Mahler 1 (which I believe may be the 1893 version) and a Mahler 10
(adagio) c/w Strauss (forget which).

>Tintner's Bruckner 6 is simply the finest conducting I have heard of
>this piece in terms of maintaining a basic pulse and beautifully controlled
>crescendos (try the 2nd mvt).  Unfortunately it is let down by some of
>the worst orchestral mistakes I have heard on CD. These could have been
>easily corrected and I feel Naxos owes it to Tintner to find another
>performance from the archives that does full justice to his stunning
>interpretation.

Won't happen. There's a NYO/Tintner 1887 Bruckner 8 (possibly the first
recording, although issued on LP after Inbal) whichj IMHO is the finest
*played* performance I've heard.

Actually there is a better Bruckner 6 - the Bohuslav Martinu Orchestra/Tintner
on Deustche Schalplatten. Impossible to find, of course.

>Karajan, Klemperer, Blomstedt and Chailly don't even come close.
>Similarly we need another Bruckner 5 which isn't hampered by an awful
>dry acoustic.

Well, I'd disagree on Klemps and there's a very fine Sawallisch on
Orfeo.

Deryk Barker