From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 09:57:41 +0100
Dear All, I am pleased to see the first CD, of three Mozart symphonies,
in a Tintner memorial series on Naxos. His luminous and spiritually
insightful Bruckner is testament to a great conductor.  From all I have
read about him he seemed like a thoroughly decent person too so it would
be good to see his reputation expand.

Does anyone know what further releases might include?  Perhaps some
archive recordings from Radio New Zealand and opera?

Tintner's Bruckner 6 is simply the finest conducting I have heard of
this piece in terms of maintaining a basic pulse and beautifully controlled
crescendos (try the 2nd mvt).  Unfortunately it is let down by some of
the worst orchestral mistakes I have heard on CD. These could have been
easily corrected and I feel Naxos owes it to Tintner to find another
performance from the archives that does full justice to his stunning
interpretation.  Karajan, Klemperer, Blomstedt and Chailly don't even
come close.  Similarly we need another Bruckner 5 which isn't hampered
by an awful dry acoustic.

Kind rergards,

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK