From:
Roger Bogda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:49:22 -0500
I am a bit late coming into this thread but will put in my two cents.

Lacking serious music being a historical part of a culture, as is the
case in Europe, and lacking suffecient arts education as part of the
school system, as is the case here, it becomes a matter of presentation.
In Miami, we have the Florida Philharmonic and the New World Symphony,
two groups quite different in approach.  The Florida Phil is a traditional
conservative orchestra.  They in fact asked a pianist to do the Rach 3rd
rather than a Prokofiev concerto so as not to "upset" the audience....which
grows smaller and older every year.  In a grudging nod, they actually
announced a year or two ago, that they would program a short contemporary
piece at the beginning of the second half of each concert to test the
waters.....this was abandoned once budget deficits loomed.....RIP....

On the other hand we have the wonderful New World Symphony under
the wonderful baton of Michael Tilson Thomas.  Lots of contemporary
music, often with the composers in residence, open rehearsals, lecture
performances, question and answer periods.  Also "theme" series....Baroque,
Second Viennese schools, in depth stuff.  Not only are they putting on
innovative programs but understand the need for education as part of
their charter....and guess what?  Concerts are packed, SRO, and the
demographics of the audience are all over the chart.

There is more but I have work to do....

Roger Bogda