From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 11:15:00 -0400
I remember a number of years ago that the Florida State University Music
Department did Madama Butterfly on 2 successive nights.  One night in
Italian and one in English.  However, the Italian Pinkerton got sick so
the English one stepped in.  He sang in English and everyone else sang in
Italian.

Knowing the libretto almost by heart, it was a real split-personality
evening.  I kept hoping he would throw at least a few words in Italian,
but he stuck strictly to English.

It was weird!

Joel Hill
Tallahassee, FL - USA