HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:25:32 -0400
From:
James Gibb <[log in to unmask]>
Welcome, Rob, to HistArch.
I think the most important point that you have raised is that of a socially heterogeneous household that includes non-family members whose motivations may differ from the owners and, thereby, influence a variety of practices, including discard.

Mark Leone and colleagues at the University of Maryland have explored this issue in connection with ritual practices of enslaved Africans in elite Colonial households. Other investigators have addressed concealment, as some recent postings to this list serve demonstrate.

Household heterogeneity and power relations should inform our interpretations of these sub-floor deposits. We are looking not just at some means of domestic trash removal--means that may be idiosyncratic or expression sof some broader patterns--but at evidence of structuring relations within the household. Theft of wine and food by servants or slaves, regardless of if or how they justified their actions, and clandestine discard of the resulting trash, has some merit for explaining the basement pit at Melwood Mansion. My difficulty--and I admittedly haven't invested much brain-time on it--is in determining what kinds of data I might consider in supporting or rejecting the hypothesis.

Jim Gibb
Annapolis, Maryland  USA