HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:24:55 -0500
From:
"Robert L. Schuyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Carol Ruppe was one of the most loyal members of the SHA across its entire
history. She not only created the SHA Bookroom,
and ran it for well over a decade, but she also gave that institution an
unusual format. Her spirit still underwrites a Bookroom
that is open to all. You can find not only professional publishers but also
the literature and offerings of many small organizations
and groups. It is, in my opinion, the best Book Room of any of the
different scholarly conferences (AAA, SAA etc) we all
attend. Carol wanted [and this is her librarian side] a free flow of
information to all.

Carol's memory will forever be preserved in the Carol V. Ruppe
Distinguished Service Award, an award that has such
high standards that only three people have received it to date. It will
always be hard to match her contributions to our
society.

                                                 Bob Schuyler

At 10:29 AM 11/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Many of you knew Carol Ruppe, who for many years set up and managed the SHA
>annual conference book room.  The SHA award, the Carol Ruppe Distinguished
>Service is named for Carol.  Sadly, she died Tuesday 4 November 2003,
>having been ill for a number of months.  There is a memorial service for
>her this afternoon, Tuesday 11 November.  The link below is to a published
>obituary for Carol, who many of you will remember as always cheerful, full
>of energy, and friendly to all.
>
>Ronn Michael
>

>Please visit the Notice for Carol Varley Ruppe.
>
>         http://www.legacy.com/Link.asp?Id=LS01582043X

Robert L. Schuyler
University of Pennsylvania Museum
33rd & Spruce Streets