Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 13:14:45 -0600
From:
Mike Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Karl Miller wrote:

>As to where this leaves us...as for me, I do most of my record shopping
>at Berkshire...it still amazes me how quickly a relatively recent release
>becomes a cut out!

As someone who has purchased used and or cutout CDs (and books) at the
local shops for decades and online more recently, I've often wondered
whether I am also contributing to the decline of these industries by
"short-circuiting the system."  When I buy a used copy or a cutout I am
contributing to that particular retailer, true, and also to the general
economy, but I am *not* contributing--at least not directly--to the
artist or to the publisher or recording company that engaged the artists
(or author) and took the risk to offer the CD (or book).

Does such budget-conscious behavior, which benefits the consumer (me)
in the short term, ultimately provide a disincentive for the CD companies
to continue to engage orchestras/conductors/soloists and produce CDs?
I rely on BRO to support my "CD habit"--much like Karl, I suspect, but
is that behavior ultimately counter-productive?  Does it hasten the
decline of CM by squeezing both artists and recording companies?

Enquiring non-economist minds want to know...

Cheers,

Mike Smith
Boulder, Colorado