Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:25:11 -0400
Bob Said:

> Areas and winters differ

Understood, but that doesn't mean that a useable guideline can't be
designed.  I live in USDA Zone 4, which gives a *general* guideline on what
plants will survive a winter here.  Factor in microclimate & soil type, and
you have a pretty good idea of what plants will grow in my back yard.  I see
no reason why a similar *rough* guideline couldn't be established for varroa
assessment within a given USDA zone.  The obvious caveat with this idea is
the same as USDA Zone ratings - your mileage may vary.

If we don't try to arrive at some sort of simple, systematic way of
interpreting mite counts, then those who bother with bottom screens and
detector boards are essentially estimating mite levels in terms like "I
don't see any", "There's some", "Hmmmmm...", and "Oh Sh**..."

> The threhold numbers quoted by Delaplane were from tests run in Georgia.
> They are *general guidelines* and in the ball park. What else could we ask
> for?

A *rough* guideline simple enough to do quick evaluations at the hive would
be nice (as would plug & play general formulas tested for each zone/season).
Example - A 1st year hive in Vermont, July 25th, 1 1/2 deeps well filled, 15
mites/24 hr drop - what does this mean?  That was my thinking behind a
simple matrix.  Doubtless that such a simplified model is not always going
to be on the mark, but neither is a non-system.

I understand that this sort of evaluation is probably not likely to be of
great interest to major commercial beekeepers, who are pretty much forced to
medicate twice yearly (and medicate with something which provides peace of
mind).  I think that the application here is more for hobby/sideliners (like
myself) who are trying to avoid heavy chemical treatments if we can.  If we
combine active evaluation with short, spot treatments between flows (like
oxalic acid vapor), it's possible that effective control might be obtained
with a minimum of "heavy artillery", which just might help buy some more
time before resistance sets in.

Just thinking out loud, and trying to be constructive.

Todd.

p.s. - Please forgive my anal-retentive tendencies when it comes to data,
but I used to be a database programmer in another life.