From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:38:21 -0700
>> Some of the Southern bee breeders would probably ship you a package
of drones and by the same token, you could get good quality at the same
time.<<

> Sorry I see this as a pollution, affection not only the receiver but
all
> beekeepers/queen breeders around in the receiver's area.

There's an interesting point, and one that is often forgotten.  Tough
words, but true.

Currently, Canada is looking at importing mainland US bee stock again,
either as queens or as packages, or as both, and this is one aspect of
the possible effects that is often overlooked.  We have gradually
achieved the ability to winter successfully, predictably, and reliably
because we do not -- cannot --get southern US stock any more.

Imports are again being considered because some beekeepers want US
package bees, remembering the good old days when we bought from
California, and because many believe that the pests that closed the
border can be managed.  The consensus, even among those who do not want
packages, is that our southern neighbours do have some stock that could
be valuable, particularly the Primorsky stock that has been imported to,
and refined in, Baton Rouge.  It has many desirable characteristics,
including very good wintering.

Coumaphos resistant mites may keep the border closed, but before we
import, the above point is one we should consider carefully as well.  We
have experience from our own past, and current reports from the US, that
a lot of the southern US package stock is not very reliable when it
comes to wintering in northern areas.  Consequently, if we are not
selective, and some beekeepers import that stock, the imports could
adversely affect their neighbours who winter by flooding the area with
bad wintering stock to the point where everyone could again become
dependant on annual packages!

Consider this: it is not at all to a package producer's benefit to
produce bees that winter well in the north.  It took us years to achieve
good wintering after being cut off from packages.  Some may say that we
are importing southern stock (Hawaiian stock and Australian stock, and
new Zealand stock), and that is true.  Nonetheless, the Hawaiian stock
is bred for wintering from NWC stock, and with some feedback and
selection from wintering zones, and the Aus stock I have had -- for
whatever reason -- just happens to be good wintering stock.  As for the
NZ bees, the nicest thing I can say about any I had (a small sample,
granted), other than that I admired their pretty colour, is that they
almost all died in their first winter.  They are not as popular as the
others.

All this is not to say that there is not some good wintering stock in
the southern US commercial lines, but we recently saw graphically,
thanks to Jose, how variable the commercial stock is in tracheal
tolerance.

We can only guess that wintering capability is equally variable, even in
the queens from any one producer!

I wonder how much of the loss in the Northeast US this winter was due to
southern stock?

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com
Retired commercial beekeeper