From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 16:47:16 -0400
Some time ago, Mitch Friedfeld said:

>I have *never* failed to come away from a live performance of anything
>with a greater appreciation for what I thought were familiar pieces.

In a related point, I was just commenting that a piece (the Flute Quartet
F-Dur, Op 88, by Anton Berndhard Furstenau) I heard at a noon recital I
recently attended was very nice.  It was live, mind you; had I tuned
into it on the radio without hesitation I'd've switched to see what else
was on.  Ditto for the Six duos from Mozart's Die Zauberflote -- predictably
skilled, elegant, nice albeit sort of exercise-like to my tastes, but
nothing to rave about.

Last but unleast, the 7-movement brass Quartet by Harald Genzmer (1909-??)
was another thing entirely.

Anyway, I digress.  The point was simply that if I were to put on a CD
of any of this music, it would always be the Genzmer ...even though every
last minute of the recital energized me for a grateful-to-be-alive
afternoon.  CDs seldom manage to do that.

Bert Bailey