From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 08:20:46 -0500
Chris Mullins wrote:

>Well, the topic has switched to the Shostakovich 7.
>
>I now see Mr. Schwartz's point, but I have to defend my beloved Bartok.
>I believe that at the time of the Concerto for Orchestra's composition,
>the Shostakovich 7 was widely looked on as a heroic symphony representing
>the struggle of our "comrades" (in the war against Hitler) to fight back
>a terrible foe. If the common interpretation at that time played up the
>symphony's "bravado" (or bluster, if you will), can we really blame
>Bartok for not recognizing Shostakovich's ironic point?  Well, maybe
>some can.  But I won't.

I have a vague recollection of hearing a story, told second hand...

Supposedly Peter Bartok, told the story of his father listening to the
broadcast of the Shostakovich 7th...probably the Toscanini.  As the story
goes, as the piece progressed, Bartok noted the number of repetitions
of the theme.  My memory is not clear when it comes to why Bartok did
this, but if my own reaction was at all similar...I was taken back
thinking that it was odd, to say the least.  It was only when I understood
the extra musical significance did Shostakovich's compositional logic
make sense to me.  However, I like to listen to music on its own terms
and judge for myself accordingly, and perhaps Bartok was doing the same.

Karl