Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 23:03:38 +0000
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
There's been a wealth of enticing new recordings that have been released
over the past month, and two of them get my immediate attention:

Buxtehude Organ Works, Volume 3
Woilfgang Rubsam, organ
Naxos 8.555991

Buxtehude's organ music represents the pinnacle of the "Stylus
Phantasticus", and Naxos has slowly been progressing through the cycle
of his organ music.  Volume 1 was performed by Volker Ellenberger and
Volume 2 by Julia Brown.  Although both organists are excellent, Naxos
now gives us one of the top baroque keyboard artists of all time in the
person of Wolfgang Rubsam.  His cycle of Bach organ works for Naxos is
one of the best on the market, with Rubsam emphasizing the severity and
strength of Bach's music.  This new Buxtehude disc is not to be missed.
I'll be reviewing it for MusicWeb in a few weeks, but do yourself a favor
and start listening to it pronto.

Chopin Piano Works:
Four Ballades
Barcarolle
Fantaisie in F minor
Polonaise-fantaisie, Op. 81
Burkard Schliessmann, piano
Bayer 100348

Schliessmann has yet to achieve a large reputation, but most critics
are already aware of his wonderful artistry from two previous Bayer
discs of Schumann and Liszt piano works.  This young man is the 'real
deal' and I have no doubt he will be considered one of the greatest
pianists in the world within a few short years.  The Chopin works on
the disc are among his most inspired, so acquire this disc without delay.
By the way, the recording is a Hybrid Super Audio CD that can be played
on any regular cd player, and the cost is simply the average for a Bayer
CD - the best of all worlds.

I would also add a new Nelson Freire Decca cd of Schumann piano music
to the list, but I've already started the review process on it and should
have the review posted to Classical Net within a week.

Happy listening,

Don Satz