Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:58:51 -0700
From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Scott Morrison wrote:

>My introduction was Sir Adrian Boult's classic mono recording which
>many consider to be, even yet, the finest ever made.  But that recording's
>sound, alas, shows its age.  [I dug out my old LP just to give it another
>listen after a number of years.  It is also out on a mid-priced CD on
>EMI and I believe it is still widely available.

Actually it is Boult's later stereo cycle which is on EMI.  His first
recordings of 1-8 were for Decca and have been reissued on BELART.  (His
premiere recording of the 9th, made the day after RVW's death IIRC, was
- and still is - on Everest).

>My old impression remains; it is a very fine performance.  I will admit
>that perhaps I like it because it was my first recording, but apparently
>others feel the same about it.] Since the Boult there have also been
>fine recordings by Previn, Slatkin and Hickox that I've heard.  I like
>all three, and particularly like the choral sound of the London Symphony
>Chorus in the Hickox recording.

Have you tried the BBC SO/A Davis on Teldec?  This is my favourite modern
recording (the 1951 Boult is still my touchstone) and the sololists
(Amanda Roocroft and Thomas Hampson) are very good indeed.

Of course, it's rather more expensive...

Deryk Barker
dbarker @camosun.bc.ca