From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 10:39:23 +0000
Dear All, I was thinking the other day how cheaply anyone new to Bruckner
could invest in a stunning cycle at budget/medium price.  Things have
changed since I started collecting about 10 years ago.  I'd go for:

0.  Inbal (Teldec)
1.  Tintner (Naxos)
2.  Tintner (Naxos) my overall favourite is Karajan
3.  Tintner (Naxos)
4.  Jochum (DG) my overall favourites are Karjan (EMI) and Celbidache (EMI)
5.  Welser Most (EMI) now superbudget!
6.  I'd say the Tintner but it's spoilt by shockingly bad production
7.  Knappertsbusch (Archipel - I believe there is a better remastering
    on M&A).  I also enjoy the Karajan on EMI and would love to hear
    the 1949 Furtwangler (BPO) which was once on EMI
8.  Boulez (DG).  A full price CD but on only one CD so I feel it
    qualifies.  I'd supplement it with the 1950 Knappertsbusch
    though for Kna's almost overwhelming coda.
9.  Kubelik/BRSO (Orfeo).  Supplemented when budgets allow with the
Furtwangler and VPO Giulini.

Any other suggestions?

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK