From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 14:43:10 +0000
I've just been listening to Shostakovich: Jazz Suites Nos.  1 and 2,
Naxos 8.555949.  The disc also includes The Bolt: Suite from the Ballet,
Op. 27a and Tahiti Trot, Op. 16.

I've only recently become acquainted with Shostakovich's work, helped
by several Mravinsky recordings and the complete symphonies on Brilliant.

Before listening to this disc, my impression of DSCH music was one of
great drama and emotion, very serious.  The fact that he also wrote this
delightful "light music" breaks all barriers of my understanding and
appreciation of the composer.  Frankly, it blows my mind.  Tahiti Trot
is a "transcription of Vincent Youman's song 'Tea for Two!!!'"

I'm interested in knowing if any other members have heard the disc and
what their impressions are.

Ron Chaplin
Iselin, New Jersey, USA