HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Don Linebaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:45:36 -0400
During recent excavations of a ca. 1675-1680 post-in-ground dwelling house
at Kippax Plantation in Prince George County, VA, we have recovered a small
ceramic bead. The site is known for its glass trade beads (about 10,000
excavated to date); it was home to Robert Bolling, a merchant/trader. The
ceramic bead is round (about size of pea), made of local clay, and is low
fired. In shape and size it resembles many of the glass beads recovered
from the site. Given its local manufacture it also resembles and might be
called a "colonoware" bead (we do have a great deal of colonoware from the
site as well). So, my question - has anyone else excavated this type of
bead at East coast sites (or elsewhere). I am not aware of any, and wanted
to see if anyone could help with other examples. I would appreciate any
help on this either on-list or off-list at [log in to unmask]

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don Linebaugh

"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore!"
Henry Ward Beecher

Donald W. Linebaugh, Ph.D., R.P.A.
Director, Program for Archaeological Research
Associate Professor of Anthropology
Allied Faculty, Historic Preservation Department, College of Design
University of Kentucky
1020A Export St.
Lexington, KY 40506
859-257-1944, 859-323-1968 (fax)
www.uky.edu/as/anthropology/PAR

CELEBRATING 75 YEARS OF ANTHROPOLOGY AT UK, 1928-2003