HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sean Dunham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:50:45 -0400
Carl,

Michigan Tech has looked at some saw mills as well in the not so
distant past.  I have attached a link to their website that lists some
of the theses on the topic. Two that come to mind are by Robert McQueen
and Julia Blair.

MTU Website: http://www.industrialarchaeology.net

Mark talks about his saw mill in an article in the Michigan
Archaeologist -

Branstner, Mark
1999  The Carp River Sawmill Company (20CH99):  A Pre-Civil War
Settlement on the South Shore of Lake Superior.  The Michigan
Archaeologist 45(2):36-57

Cheers,

Sean Dunham

Sean B. Dunham, RPA
Commonwealth Cultural Resources Group, Inc.
Phone:  517-788-3550 / FAX:  517-788-6594
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
http://www.ccrginc.com

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/07/04 04:24PM >>>
Has anyone on this list done investigations on railroad tie-hack
camps?

If so, I'd like to know:

1. What types of surface manifestations indicated to you that these
were
tie-hack camps?

2.  What types of archival sources, if any, did you use to locate or
confirm the location of the camp?

3.  Has anyone written a historic context, or a least the portion of
the
Multiple Property form for the history context, for one of these
sites?

I've not worked with these types of sites before, but now I need to
know
something about them.  If anyone still has a copy of the site report
they
did for the camp, I would very much welcome a copy.

Mark B. - -

If you could contact me off-line, I'd like to hear more about your
sawmill
project.

Cheers!

Carl Barna