HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erica Sanborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:13:27 -0500
>Hello all:
>
>Does anybody happen to know if anybody has ever applied
>Christaller's Central Place Theory to historic archaeology? I know
>I've seen about twenty articles on prehistoric settlement
>patterns, but I don't have any in historic archaeology.
>
>Kris
>
>K. Kris Hirst
>Archaeologist
>The Louis Berger Group, Inc.
>950 50th Street
>Marion IA 52302
>
>319/373-3043
>fax 319/373-3045

Hodder and Orton
1987    New Studies in Archaeology:  Spatial Analysis in Archaeology.
Cambridge University Press.  is a starting point, though dated.

Central Place Theory was most often referred to in the 1970s and 80s in Old
World archaeology. I think here in the U.S. it isn't referred to
specifically, but discussed as part of locational models for historical
archaeology (both inter and intrasite patterning discussions).  Below are
some from Hodder and Orton.

Hodder, I.R.
1972    Locational Models and the Study of Roamano-British Settlement.  In:
Clarke, D.L. (ed.)  Models in Archaeology, pp.887-909.  Methuen, London.

Vance, J.E.
1970    The Merchant's World:  The Geography of Wholesaling.  Prentice
Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.

Johnson, G.A.

1972    A Test of the Utility of Central Place Thory in Archaeology.  In
Ucko, P.J., Tringham, R. and Dimbleby, G. (eds.), man, Settlemen and
Urbanism, pp 769-85.  Duckworth, London.

Mebane Archaeological Services
108 W. Carr St.
Mebane, NC  27302
919-563-6392 phone/fax