HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathryn Kalmanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:30:37 -0500
The famous "Liberty Ships" of WWII were concrete construction.  Many of
them were built in my home town of Wilmington, NC, and up until the
1960's a mothball fleet still remained anchored in the river there.  A
few were refurbished for use during the Vietnam War, if memory serves me
correctly. Sometime during that period they were moved to Norfolk Naval
Base.  I saw them there a couple of years ago.
These ships were launched sideways.  I remember a wonderful photo of
the ceremonial first launching in which all the dignitaries who had come
to christen the ship were thoroughly drenched by a huge backsplash when
the ship hit the water broadsided.

Kathryn Kalmanson
Head of Reference
Blackwell Library
Salisbury University
Salisbury, MD  21801
Phone:  410-543-6190
Fax:       410-543-6203
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/10/03 09:51PM >>>
Hello Trish Fernandez & all,

jb} Not only did the industry make block .. but during WWII the
industry molded ships hulls and
decks of concrete and they served well as cargo carriers.

jb
.