HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:19:55 -0500
Strunk & white - then go back to studying writers whose work really stikes
you as being clear and concise or whatever else you'd like your style to be
(I personally suggest henry david thoreau or george orwell, his essays and
1984 [not the earlier fiction]) and study the hell out of them until you
understand what makes them tick -
Much as I admire the works of david clarke and joseph conrad and thomas
pynchon & james joyce and even nietzsche or basho, I don't want to write
like them, because their style is not relevant to what I'm trying to do; I
can admire and enjoy it and so on, but I feel I'm still better off avoiding
pyrotechnix and aiming for the simplicity & clarity of a well-built, solid
sentence -
For what it matters: this is advice I got from courses in creative writing I
took long ago as an undergrad, back in the days before my real career got
diverted by this temporary need to earn a living digging holes in the
ground...

geoff carver - SUNY buffalo
http://www.lego.com/eng/play/games/