HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Stoner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:43:42 -0400
Sorry for joining the discussion late, I am on the road and only able to
check email at friend's houses -- such is the life of ....  I also have
somehow missed the photo opportunity of the vessel in question (please
re-send), but I thought it best y'all heard about sugar pots from Barbados.
In over eight years of excavation experience on the island, I have recovered
three types of sugarwares: two variations of Molasses drip-jars and one
sugar cone.  The Molasses drip-jars are rather large (~2.5-feet tall;
~12-inches in diamter), heart-shaped jars; the first variation has a
flatten, conical base, while the second has a rounded bottom with an applied
support ring around the bottom.  They're quite sturdy in construction as
they were made to support the sugar cone, a tall (~3 feet) conical-shaped
with a small finger sized hole in the pointed-end.  While found to be
overwhelmingly unglazed, Barbadian sugar wares can be found in brown and
green lead glazes, and even a white to yellow slip.

To further complicate matters, before you decide you have Barbadian
Sugarwares, a large cache of Sugarwares was recovered in England -- of
reported English manufacture.  While I have not yet been able to examine
those specimens, I am unable to describe to you the difference.  However, it
is of note, the Barbadian Reware Industry (which also consisted of domestic
redware production) was manufactured by slaves as early as the
mid-seventeenth-century.

Anyway, you can reference my work in the following publications for greater
detail, but I must forewarn you, my research is ongoing:

Michael J. Stoner and Stanley A. South 2001: Exploring Charles Towne, SCIAA
Research Manuscript Series, South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and
Anthropology, USC, Columbia

Michael J Stoner 2000 A History of the Barbadian Ceramic Industry  Master's
Thesis Armstrong Atlantic State University, Savannah, GA

Michael J Stoner and Karl Watson 2002 Explorations at the George Washington
House: Excavations in the Gully, University of the West Indies Press

The most detailed description to date of Barbadian Reware, however, is in
print (when I don't know)  ask Martha Zierden at the Charleston Museum,
Charleston, SC.

Anyway, I hope this helps and I am interested in your results.
Sincerely,
MS

Use custom emotions -- try MSN Messenger 6.0!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_emoticon