HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 14:25:40 -0700
Susan:  Unfortunately, I've disposed of most of that part of my library
relating to historical archaeology, but I seem to recall that Arthur
Woodward published on gunflints found in Spanish-period sites in North
America, possibly in the compilation of articles of his that originally
appeared in the OREGON SCREENINGS.
    There is an extensive gathering of gunflint (largely French and English)
essays in THE MISSOURI ARCHAEOLOGIST, Vol. 22 (December, 1960), including a
very detailed article by Woodward on the subject.  He notes, among other
things, that in Mexico flints for strike-a-lites were also made.  This issue
of the THE MISSOURI ARCHAEOLOGIST was a special volume on Indian trade guns,
one compiled by T.M. Hamilton.
     The issues of HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY for 1970 and 1971 have articles by
Lee Hanson and Carol Mason concerning gunflints found at Ocmulgee National
Monument in Georgia where, among other artifacts, Spanish majolica sherds
were found.
    B. Fontana