HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gary Vines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 09:55:14 +1100
he link between measuring systems and politics is an enthralling one. In a country which replaced its imperial (in both senses) measures in the 1960s, this was an economic, political and probably psychological gesture. My generation 40-50 year olds, went through school with both systems and so tend to have both measures converting back and forth in our brains to make sense of it.

On the political side, different measuring systems have also been used as defector trade restrictions. Perhaps Americas slowness in coming round to the rest or the world standards is part of the ploy to use free trade where it suits, but block imports which might harm local industry. Australia did a similar thing with railway gauges, each colony, and then state having a different gauge to help foster local industry and keep out competing rolling stock manufactures.
Personally I don't see any intrinsic advantage of the metric system, apart from us having ten fingers and so building from a base ten counting system, and the benefits to a global economy of having the same system. In the end manufacturers often choose a size that makes no sense in any system.

Then of course there is metric time, now who has the system which fits there.

Excuse my ramblings

Gary Vines
Archaeologist
Biosis Research Pty. Ltd.
Natural and Cultural Heritage Consultants
322 Bay Street (PO Box 489)
PORT MELBOURNE, 3207

ph: (03) 9646 9499
fax: (03) 9646 9242