HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:27:10 -0400
I've run into a curious entry in an 1838 estate appraisement that I have
not seen before and wondered if anyone had an explanation. This is an
appraisement for a man in Nelson County, Kentucky. Among the usual farming
equipment, etc., is listed:

1/2 of a Threshing machine for small grain (valued at $20.00)
1/2 of the patent right of said machine for Nelson County (valued at $50.00)

This was an enterprising man; the appraisement also includes stone masonry
tools, mention of corn to be delivered to his mill (his will mentions a saw
and grist mill), and part interest in a distillery, along with evidence of
diversified farming. It sounds like he may also have been an inventor but I
am puzzled by the involvement with the county. I know that there were
contract threshers in the plains and western US who went around threshing
for local farmers but this seems very early for something like that. Any
ideas?

Nancy O'Malley
Assistant Director
W.S. Webb Museum of Anthropology