Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 18:12:23 -0500
Chris Mullins wrote:

>I think I need to start playing some great classical music pieces, on a
>rotating basis, at low level at the beginning of class, when the students
>are settling in, copying the agenda, doing their warm-up. Maybe sooner
>or later one or two will realize they've heard a certain piece before
>and want to know a bit more about it - even if it doesn't have words!
>Could work...

This brings back some memories of music appreciation at P.S.  152 in
Brooklyn in the nineteen forties (!!!) We were supposed to learn to
recognize some short pieces and some snippets of longer pieces.  The
short pieces included works by McDowell and Ethelbert Nevin- the long
pieces included Schubert and Beethoven symphonies.  All were accompanied
by words.  Example: This is the sym----phony which Schubert wrote but
never fin---ished.  I cannot in truth ascribe by love of classical music
to this experience - but who knows, maybe a seed was planted.

Bernard  Chasan