From:
"Arthur M. Hoffmann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 04:41:41 +0300
From: Barrett Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>

>what pieces comprise your absolute musical zenith?

Thee is much.  Let me propose the following, what neve can be complete
due to daily mood:

Josquin DesPrez: Missade del Homme Arme
Vivaldi: La Quattro Stagnioni + One random favourite Concerto
Telemann:"Ihr Ruestigem WAchter", "Hamburger Admiralitatsmusik"
Haendel: "Judas Maccabaeus"
Haydn: Symphnonies Nos: 22, 26, 53, 92, 94, 99, 100, 104, "Armida", "Die
Schoepfung"(!!), " Die Jahrezeiten"
Beethoven: The Complete Symphonies, Violin Sonatas Nos 5 % 9, "Hammerklavier"-
Sonate, "Prometheus"-Ballett, Missa Solemnis, "Prometeheus"-ballett
R. Schumann: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 3
Tchaykovski: Symphony Nr.6, Violin-Concerto, Swan Lake ballett, "Eugen
Onegin", "Cappriccio Italien", Doernroessechen ballett
Hummel: Trumpet Concerto, Cello Sonate, Missa WoO12, Septett
Mussorgskij: Everything I have heard.
Verdi: "la Traviata", "la Forza del Destino", "Il Trovatore"
Wagner: "Die Meistersinger von Nuernberg", "Der Ring des Niebelungen"
Puccini: "Madama Butterfly"'
Berlioz: "Grande Missa del Morts", "Les Troyennes" (Complete)
Berg: Violin-Concerto, "Woyzzek"
Schoenberg: "Gurre-Lieder", "Verlaerte Nacht"
Glazunow: Most of it, included: "The Seasons", "From Miedeval Ages",
"From Darkness to Light", The Complete Symphonies, The Collection of
Piano Music, "Raymonda"-ballett, Violin-Concerto, "Karelian Legend"
Mahler: Symphonies Nos, 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, DLvdE, The complete Songs.
Bruckner: Symphonies Nos 0, 4, 5, 7, 8 & 9
Mendelssohn: Symphonies nos 3 & 4, "Fingals Cave"
Zemlinsky: "Der Zwerg", Lyric Symphony, "Fruelingsbegraebnis"
Pfitzner: "Palestrina"
Bizet: "Carmen"
Orff: "Carmina Burana"
Borodin: SQ Nr.2
Scriabin: The Complete Piano Sonatas

I could also add Bach: "Die Kunst der Fugue" & "Das Wohltemperierte
Clavier", but then I also have to add C.  F.  Gauss, Fermat & Pascal
and similar composers.  It is however undoubtely the bach was capable
of wriing pieces of emotinal strange, just try "Johannes-Pssion"!  Also
I excluded some composer, whom I have edored, but had nothing out of
it except a lot of trouble.

Arthur Hoffmann