From:
Sheila Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:37:24 -0500
Hi list~ I have been a member for about a week, have enjoyed reading
the postings but have not as yet posted anything myself.  Just by way of
introduction, my interests are quite wide, encompassing all vocal styles
from plainchant to modern opera and song, from viola da gamba sonatas
to string quartets, symphonies, concerti etc., but with an emphasis on
opera, lieder and orchestral music.

Anyway - the reason for my post was to see if anyone has any information
on a certain Walter B. Rogers, who apparently was a house conductor for
the Victor company between 1910 and 1923, particularly in accompanying
singers.  The reason I am asking is a musical one: unlike other "company
conductors," Rogers was always credited by name on the record labels (an
extreme rarity in those days), and his records are unfailingly musical.
The orchestra (such as it was back then) always sounded well-rehearsed
and in tune, and even unlike other conductors who were credited (such
as Josef Pasternack), Rogers' musical style was unfailingly clean, stylish
and enjoyable.  His most famous recordings are, of course, those with
Enrico Caruso, but he was also the conductor on many John McCormack
discs, including the tenor's legendary performances of "Il mio tesoro"
and "O sleep, why dost thou leave me?"

Sheila Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>