From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 17:43:18 +0000
Richard Pennycuick writes:

>I have a strong dislike of magazines which use star systems to rate
>performance and recording.

I don't have any problems with star systems as long as they are just a
supplement to the narrative section of the review and make sense based
on the narrative content.

The other day I was at Borders and browsing the latest BBC issue.
It seemed like most of the review stars were either in the four or five
star category.  So the star system in this instance cleary reveals that
the reviews are very generous and perhaps should be taken lightly.

Don Satz